Calendula is the main ingredient in our Calendulis Plus Cream. It wasn’t selected at random. It was selected for its many medicinal properties….
Calendula, also known as Garden Marigold is a common garden plant throughout Europe and North America. The flowers have been used for centuries as an antiseptic, to reduce inflammation and to treat wounds and a variety of skin conditions. Calendula can also be used internally to treat stomach ulcers and inflammations however the use of calendula in this way professional supervision is recommended.
Calendula is available in a variety of different forms including lotions, ointments, oils for external use and tinctures for internal use. Calendula possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial anti-fungal and anti-spasmodic properties.
Calendula has a wide variety of uses including:
- Aids in the quick repair of damaged skin and rapid wound healing
- Helps to minimise the effects of aging
- Is one of the best herbs for treating burns, cuts and abrasions because of its anti-septic qualities
- Helps to seal small blood vessels thereby stemming bleeding and preventing bruising
- The anti-fungal properties make it effective in treating athlete’s foot, ringworm and candida
- It reduces the fluid inside blisters
- Internally it can assist in the control of gastric inflammation and the treatment of gastric and duodenal ulcers
- Effective in the treatment of acne, nappy rash and sore nipples in nursing mothers
Calendula will also minimise inflammation and the risk of secondary infection in chronic skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. It will aid in the repair of the skin damaged from repeated breakdown due to these conditions and help to keep scarring at a minimum.