When suffering from eczema using emollients is a necessary part of life. There are ways to make your emollients more effective and less of a chore to apply:
- To reduce the risk of infection always wash your hands before applying your emollient.
- To prevent the skin drying out apply your emollient immediately after drying the skin.
- To minimise skin irritation and increased itching always rub emollients in the direction of the hair growth.
- To decrease the risk of cross infection, never share your emollient with other people.
- To moisturise your skin overnight, apply an emollient or moisturiser to your whole body before going to bed.
- To minimise skin irritation, apply moisturising creams gently.