Regardless of the type of emollient you choose to use there are some common rules that if followed will enable you to gain the most benefit from your emollient.
- To reduce the risk of infection always wash your hands before applying your emollient.
- Always patch test an emollient that is being used for the first time.
- To prevent the skin drying out apply your emollient immediately after drying the skin.
- To minimise skin irritation and increased itching always rub emollients in the direction of the hair growth.
- To decrease the risk of cross infection, never share your emollient with other people.
- To moisturise your skin overnight, apply an emollient to your whole body before going to bed.
- To minimise skin irritation, apply moisturising creams gently.
- Always follow the manufacturers instructions.