Christmas time is here once again, and if you are like me it’s hard to believe a year has passed since last Christmas. The rounds of Christmas parties and drinks would have most probably started for most. Although it is a time of happiness and festive fun, it can be a daunting time of year for sufferers of skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
All that rich food, alcohol, sun and often stress play havoc on your skin, and getting through the Christmas period without a flare up is often a difficult task.
Following is a list of useful tips and hints that will help you get through the ‘madness’ with out aggravating your skin! And remember there is no need to deprive yourself. Just don’t go overboard!
- Stick to your skin care routine. Although you might be on the go more than usual, be committed to keeping your skin moisturized at all times. Take your cream with you if you are going to the beach or a BBQ and always reapply your cream after swimming in salt or chlorine.
- Relax! Christmas time can be very hectic, but take time out of your day to relax. Stress management and relaxation techniques may help decrease the likelihood of flare ups due to emotional stress.
- Keep your skin cool as much as possible. Here in Australia our summers can be very hot. Although a little bit of sun may help some people’s eczema and psoriasis, too much can be very damaging and very painful. Stay out of the sun between 10am and 2pm. Wear a good quality, low irritant sunscreen and cover up.
- Watch what you eat! This can be a hard one with all of the yummy food around, and endless rounds of parties, but too much of a good thing can play havoc on your skin. Know what foods irritate you. If you are going to a party – eat something before hand. This will make you less likely to nibble at snacks or drink too much alcohol, which will only give you grief the next day.
- Drink plenty of water and stay well hydrated. This will help to cleanse your body and also your skin.
- Wear loose fitting cotton clothing, and use cotton bed sheets to help keep you cool when sleeping.